As I reflect on my journey since launching my business in 2010, I’m filled with a mix of nostalgia, gratitude, and a wealth of insights that came from both triumphs and trials.
Today, I’m excited to share with you 10 invaluable lessons that have shaped my business ethos. These aren’t just lessons I’ve read about or heard in passing; they are the core principles that have guided me through the unpredictable world of entrepreneurship.
Whether you’ve been in business for decades, are just starting out, or are somewhere in between, I believe these insights can offer a fresh perspective. So, grab a cup of coffee, settle in, and let’s dive into the world of business wisdom from the lens of an interior design expert.
10 Essential Business Lessons from an Interior Design Expert
- Embrace Authenticity: The key to success is simple – just be you. In a world where everyone is trying to fit a mould, your authenticity will set you apart. People connect with genuine personalities, so embrace your uniqueness.
- Abundance Over Scarcity: There’s enough room for everyone. Instead of viewing others as competition, focus on solving problems for your clients. Remember, there’s more than enough for all of us.
- Quality Over Quantity in Social Media: You don’t need to be everywhere. Find the platform where your audience hangs out and master it. For me, Instagram has been a game-changer.
- Craft a Clear Message: Can you explain what you do in a sentence or two? Having a concise and clear message helps in making an instant connection.
- Prioritise Payments: Always ensure you get paid upfront. It not only establishes professionalism but also ensures commitment from both sides.
- Systems and Processes are Lifesavers: If you find yourself repeating tasks, it’s time to create a system for it. Streamlining operations can significantly reduce stress.
- Invest in Help: Whether it’s hiring a cleaner, a bookkeeper, or a virtual assistant, getting help can free up your time and fast-track your business growth.
- Build Your Brand Early: Even if you’re not fully set up, start building your audience. Collect email addresses, grow your social following, and let people get to know you.
- Find Your Support Group: Business can be challenging. Having a group of like-minded individuals to share experiences with can be both therapeutic and enlightening.
- Experience is the Best Teacher: While planning and research are crucial, nothing beats hands-on experience. Embrace the journey, learn from your mistakes, and always keep moving forward.
Lastly, the business landscape is ever-evolving. To thrive, you must be adaptable, continually learn, and stay updated with the latest trends. Surround yourself with a supportive community, and remember, every challenge is a new learning opportunity.
For more join me on the Podcast – 5 Tools I use Everyday as an Interior Designer, and, remember, you don’t have to do this alone, there’s a community of Interior Designers just like you, join us in The Insiders Design Tribe